Sunday, August 2, 2009

Hillcrest Farmer's Market

Katie, Bryan (not to be confused with Katie and Ryan) and I spent this lovely Sunday morning at the Hillcrest Farmer's Market. If you can believe it, it was my inaugural visit. (Considering my interest in local living, I am slightly embarrassed admitting this fact.) As you can imagine, the market was a sensory-stimulating activity with the aromatic scent of basils and Turkish coffee, the taste of heirloom tomatoes and sweet strawberries, and the sights of colorful floral bouquets and piles of fresh produce.

Never before had I tasted plumcots (a hybrid of a plum and apricot), but I was immediately charmed by the mingling of the sweetness of apricot and the tartness of a plum. I bought a small basketful for $4 and enjoyed a few on the beach this afternoon. So, if you are at your local farmer's market this summer and stumble upon plumcots (which are also know by two registered trademarked varieties - "Pluots" and "Apriums"), I would definitely encourage you to try a bite. You won't be disappointed!

Here are photos of Bryan and Katie sampling the locally grown produce. Katie brought home ceviche, freshly made spinach fettuccine, and salad fixings, so you know she's eating well tonight!! Bryan checked out the edible plants and herbs for the patio at his new townhouse, which happens to be walking distance from the market. I held off on buying anything other than the plumcots and Bella Vado Avocado Oil because I have my CSA delivery tomorrow. It was difficult but somehow I managed to demonstrate self-restraint!








1 comment:

  1. My Katie (as opposed to your Katie) and I discovered pluots at Pike's Place Market in Seattle a few summers ago. Very yummy indeed!!

    ReplyDelete