Sunday, August 2, 2009

Weird Wildflowers

I aspire to one day have a home full of lush plants and a yard filled with gardens and shade trees. However, at this point during this 29th year, my studio-living lifestyle only allows for about 15 houseplants. For the most part, the plants are basic potted houseplants - nothing fancy. I purchase the plants from nurseries, receive them as gifts, or I grow them from cuttings off of my other plants. I don't start things from seed.

In April, I received a "Thank You for Volunteering" card from Planned Parenthood which included a packet of wildflower seeds. I decided that perhaps this was a good time to try my hand at growing plants by seed. I read the directions and planted three pots. I was super excited when they started to grow, and made sure to water regularly and rotate the pots so that they received equal sunlight from all sides. As the plants grew bigger, I noticed that they were starting to grow horizontally. I put a "Hope" pebble in one pot to encourage the plant to be healthy and strong. I attempted to attach the stems to drinking straws, but it was a futile attempt. As the summer continued on, I begin to believe that my awkward sideways plants were somehow the result of my poor gardening skills and I was certain that they would never bloom into the wildflowers that they had once been destined to become. Well, much to my surprise, late last week I saw a pink flower bud growing on my plant. I am so incredibly proud of it, that I decided to forgo the shame of growing a non-vertical plant and post photos of my very, very beautiful wildflower.














No flowers yet for this guy (see the straw?) but I am going to give him his own inspirational pebble and we'll see what happens!

1 comment:

  1. That's AWESOME. I got no such card from Planned Parenthood...hmp...

    ReplyDelete