Monday, August 3, 2009

I Love My CSA

Most anyone who knows me has heard about my CSA, Be Wise Ranch - I talk about my organic, locally grown produce as fondly as others talk about their pets or children. Here is why I love my bi-weekly deliveries from my CSA:

1. When I go to pick up my CSA box, I feel like I am about to get a birthday present because the contents of the box are always a mystery. Will I get cherries? eggplant? yellow peppers? I never know what fabulous produce I will find! As adults, we really don't get too many surprises (Well, except for the occasional job lay-off or unintended pregnancy. Surprise! ) Let me tell you, the CSA mystery box really adds some excitement to your life.

2. The produce from the farm lasts way longer than the stuff you buy at the supermarket. The fruits and veggies that I receive in my box are picked the morning of my delivery, so they haven't been sitting around in the bed of a truck and/or in a store for days and days. The majority of my produce lasts for at least 10 days in the fridge. (Obviously, some stuff lasts much longer, like carrots, beets, potatoes, onions, etc.)


3. I am supporting a San Diego farm and, subsequently, the San Diego economy by buying locally. San Diego is my favorite place to be, and I want the community to be healthy and thrive. Screw Watsonville - I'm buying my California produce right here where I live.


4. I pretty much eat all of the fruits and veggies because I think, "Geez, I paid for it. I really should eat it". Some days, the only reason I am eating healthy food is because of my self-inflicted guilt over wasting money.


5. When I receive produce that I have never prepared before (i.e. dandelion greens, fennel, bok choy), I am forced to be creative in my cooking. This keeps me enthusiastic about making meals, and it ensures that I am getting a variety of nutrients in my body.


6. When I go to potlocks and I bring my own dish, I can say, "Oh, this is local and organic." Potlucks are always a good place to gloat about how eco-friendly you are, because potlucks are generally attended by hippies. (Or Mormons. But I bet they would be impressed too.)


7. This week's delivery - $25. heirloom tomatoes, slicing tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, eggplant, spring mix, beets, oranges, peaches, peppers, arugula.
Eating healthy and taking care of my body: Priceless




There are lots more reasons that I love my CSA, but I need to go make dinner. In case you are wondering, tonight's menu is a grilled cheese sandwich - organic cheddar, heirloom tomatoes, and avocado on rosemary herb bread. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment